Deliciously Savory: Mouthwatering Meat Pie Recipe to Satisfy Your Cravings
There's something undeniably comforting about a warm, savory meat pie. The combination of flaky pastry and flavorful filling is enough to make anyone's mouth water. Whether you're looking for a hearty dinner or a delicious party appetizer, this meat pie recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings. With its rich and flavorful meat filling encased in a buttery crust, it's the perfect dish to celebrate the joy of cooking and indulging in good food. So roll up your sleeves and get ready to create a mouthwatering masterpiece that will leave everyone wanting more.
Ingredients for Meat Pie
To create a mouthwatering meat pie, you will need the following ingredients:
1. 500 grams of ground beef or lamb: Choose lean meat for a healthier option.
2. 1 onion, finely chopped: Adds flavor and texture to the filling.
3. 2 cloves of garlic, minced: Enhances the savory taste of the meat.
4. 1 carrot, diced: Provides a touch of sweetness and color.
5. 1 celery stalk, diced: Adds a subtle earthy flavor to the filling.
6. 1 cup of beef or vegetable broth: Helps moisten the filling and intensify the taste.
7. 2 tablespoons of tomato paste: Gives a rich and tangy flavor to the meat mixture.
8. 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce: Adds depth and complexity to the filling.
9. A handful of fresh herbs (such as thyme or rosemary): Infuses aromatic notes into the dish.
10. Salt and pepper to taste: Seasonings that bring out all the flavors.
With these simple yet flavorful ingredients, you are ready to embark on your journey to create a deliciously savory meat pie that will satisfy your cravings!
Preparing the Meat Filling
To make the mouthwatering meat filling for your savory pie, you'll need a few key ingredients. Start by heating a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add finely chopped onions and minced garlic to the pan and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
Next, it's time to add the star of the show - the meat! You can use any type of ground meat you prefer, such as beef, chicken, or lamb. Brown the meat in the skillet with the onions and garlic until it's cooked through and no longer pink.
To enhance the flavors even further, season the meat with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs and spices. Traditional options include thyme, rosemary, or Worcestershire sauce. Feel free to get creative and experiment with different seasonings to suit your taste buds.
Once the meat is well-seasoned, add some diced vegetables like carrots and peas to give your filling an extra burst of color and texture. Cook these veggies until they're tender but still slightly crisp.
To bind everything together and create a luscious sauce for your pie filling, sprinkle some flour over the mixture in the skillet. Stir it in thoroughly so that it coats all of the ingredients evenly.
Finally, pour in some beef or chicken broth to create a rich gravy-like consistency. Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes until it thickens slightly.
Now that your tantalizing meat filling is ready, it's time to move on to making the perfect pie crust that will encase all those delicious flavors!
Making the Pie Crust
The key to a perfect meat pie lies in its flaky and buttery crust. To make the pie crust, you will need:
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Ice water
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the cold butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. The butter should be evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
Next, gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, while gently stirring with a fork. Continue adding water just until the dough comes together and can be formed into a ball. Be careful not to overmix or add too much water as this can result in a tough crust.
Divide the dough in half and shape each portion into a disk. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the gluten to relax and make rolling easier.
When ready to assemble the pie, remove one disk from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to soften slightly. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a circle that is slightly larger than your pie dish.
Gently transfer the rolled-out dough onto your pie dish by carefully folding it in half or rolling it around your rolling pin and then unrolling it onto the dish. Press it gently against the bottom and sides of the dish, making sure there are no air pockets.
Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges of the dish using kitchen shears or a sharp knife. At this point, you can crimp or decorate the edges according to your preference.
The remaining disk of dough can be used as a top crust or you can get creative with lattice patterns or decorative cutouts. Remember to cut slits or poke holes in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
Once your pie crust is ready, you can proceed with filling it with the savory meat mixture and bake it to golden perfection. The flaky and buttery crust will provide the perfect vessel for the rich and flavorful filling, making every bite of your meat pie a delight.
Assembling and Baking the Meat Pie
Once the meat filling is prepared and the pie crust is rolled out, it's time to assemble and bake your delicious meat pie.
First, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Place one layer of the rolled-out pie crust into a greased pie dish, making sure it covers the bottom and sides evenly.
Next, spoon the meat filling into the pie crust, spreading it out evenly. Be generous with the filling, as this is where all the savory flavors come together.
Cover the meat filling with another layer of rolled-out pie crust. Seal the edges by pressing them together with your fingers or using a fork. You can also create a decorative pattern on top using a knife if desired.
Make a few small slits on top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
Place the assembled meat pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the crust turns golden brown and crispy.
Once baked, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing into it. The aroma will be irresistible!
The result will be a perfectly baked meat pie with a flaky crust and a flavorful meaty filling that will satisfy your cravings for something savory.
So gather your loved ones around, slice up this mouthwatering creation, and enjoy every bite of this delectable meat pie!
Serving and Enjoying the Meat Pie
Once your meat pie is golden brown and fragrant, it's time to savor the deliciousness. Allow the pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing into generous portions. The crust should be flaky and buttery, while the filling should be moist and flavorful.
For a complete meal, serve the meat pie with a side of fresh salad or steamed vegetables. The contrast of textures and flavors will enhance your dining experience. Pair it with a glass of red wine or a cold beer to complement the savory notes of the dish.
Whether you're enjoying it as a comforting weeknight dinner or serving it at a special gathering, this meat pie is sure to impress. Its hearty nature makes it perfect for sharing with loved ones or even freezing leftovers for future enjoyment.
So go ahead, dig in and relish every bite of this mouthwatering meat pie. It's an indulgent treat that will leave you feeling satisfied and craving more.
Variations and Tips for Meat Pie Recipe
- For a twist on the classic meat pie, try adding some diced vegetables like carrots, peas, or mushrooms to the meat filling. This will not only add more flavor but also make the pie more nutritious.
- If you prefer a spicier meat pie, you can add some chili powder or hot sauce to the meat filling. Adjust the amount according to your taste preferences.
- To make a vegetarian version of this meat pie, simply substitute the ground beef with plant-based ground meat or a combination of lentils and mushrooms. The rest of the recipe remains the same.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices to customize the flavor of your meat pie. Some popular options include thyme, rosemary, paprika, or cumin.
- To achieve a golden and flaky crust, brush the top of the pie with an egg wash before baking. This will give it a beautiful shine and enhance its overall appearance.
- If you're short on time, you can use store-bought refrigerated pie crust instead of making your own from scratch. Just make sure to follow the package instructions for baking.
- Leftover meat pie can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving.
By experimenting with these variations and following these tips, you can create a deliciously savory meat pie that satisfies your cravings while adding your own personal touch. Enjoy exploring different flavors and making this recipe your own!
In conclusion, the meat pie recipe is a true delight for meat lovers. Its savory filling and flaky crust create a perfect balance of flavors and textures that will satisfy your cravings. Whether you choose to make it with beef, chicken, or even lamb, this dish is sure to impress your family and friends. The versatility of the recipe allows for endless variations, so feel free to get creative with the ingredients and spices. So go ahead and give this mouthwatering meat pie a try - it's guaranteed to bring joy to your taste buds!
Published: 06. 12. 2023