BBC Mince Pies Recipe: A Delightful Twist on a Classic Holiday Treat
Get ready to indulge in a delightful twist on a classic holiday treat with the BBC Mince Pies recipe. These mouthwatering pies are the perfect combination of rich, buttery pastry and sweet, spiced mincemeat filling. Whether you're hosting a festive gathering or simply want to treat yourself, these pies are guaranteed to bring joy to your taste buds. So, grab your apron and let's get baking!
List of ingredients needed for BBC Mince Pies
To make BBC Mince Pies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 225g plain flour
- 100g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp cold water
For the mincemeat filling:
- 200g mixed dried fruit (such as raisins, currants, and sultanas)
- 50g chopped mixed peel
- 50g soft brown sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Icing sugar, for dusting before serving
These ingredients will give you a delicious batch of BBC Mince Pies that are perfect for the holiday season.
Step-by-step instructions for making BBC Mince Pies
Step 3: Step-by-step instructions for making BBC Mince Pies
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, butter, and icing sugar. Rub the mixture together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the egg yolk and cold water to the mixture and stir until it forms a dough. If the dough is too dry, add a little more water.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 3mm thick. Use a round cutter to cut out circles that will fit into your muffin tin.
5. Grease your muffin tin with butter or cooking spray and gently press each circle of pastry into the tin, ensuring they cover the base and sides.
6. Spoon a generous amount of mincemeat into each pastry case, filling them almost to the top.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut out smaller circles or shapes to use as lids for your pies. Place these on top of the mincemeat-filled cases, pressing down lightly around the edges to seal them.
8. Brush each pie with beaten egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar for a golden finish.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
10. Allow the pies to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
11. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with icing sugar if desired.
12. Enjoy these delightful BBC Mince Pies as a festive treat or share them with loved ones during holiday gatherings!
Tips and tricks for perfecting your BBC Mince Pies
1. Chill the pastry: To ensure a flaky and buttery crust, make sure to chill the pastry dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out. This will help prevent shrinkage during baking.
2. Use quality mincemeat: Invest in good quality mincemeat that is rich in flavors such as dried fruits, spices, and brandy. This will elevate the taste of your mince pies.
3. Add a touch of citrus: For an extra burst of flavor, add some grated orange or lemon zest to your mincemeat mixture. It will add a refreshing twist to the traditional flavors.
4. Don't overfill the pies: While it may be tempting to pack in as much mincemeat as possible, be careful not to overfill the pies. Too much filling can cause them to burst open during baking.
5. Brush with egg wash: Before baking, brush the tops of your mince pies with beaten egg. This will give them a beautiful golden color and a shiny finish.
6. Serve warm with accompaniments: Mince pies are best enjoyed warm, so reheat them in the oven for a few minutes before serving. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an indulgent treat.
By following these tips, you'll be able to create perfectly delicious and festive BBC Mince Pies that are sure to impress your family and friends!
Serving suggestions and variations for BBC Mince Pies
1. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an indulgent treat.
2. Dust the pies with powdered sugar before serving to add a touch of elegance.
3. For a festive twist, drizzle melted chocolate over the pies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
4. Add a spoonful of brandy butter or rum-infused whipped cream on top for an extra kick of flavor.
5. Serve alongside a cup of hot mulled wine or spiced apple cider for the perfect holiday pairing.
6. Experiment with different fillings such as cranberry-orange compote, mincemeat with added nuts, or even a chocolate-hazelnut spread for unique variations.
These serving suggestions and variations will elevate your BBC Mince Pies to new heights and make them even more delightful during the holiday season!
In conclusion, the BBC Mince Pies recipe is a delightful twist on a classic holiday treat. The combination of rich mincemeat filling and buttery pastry creates a mouthwatering flavor that will leave you wanting more. Whether enjoyed with a cup of tea or served as a dessert at your holiday gathering, these pies are sure to impress. So gather your ingredients, follow the step-by-step instructions, and get ready to indulge in the joy of baking these delicious BBC Mince Pies. Happy holidays and happy baking!
Published: 02. 12. 2023